Get ready to unleash your inner artist and dive into the magical realm of DIY Magic
Whether planning a ballerina party, making a Halloween costume, planning a newborn shoot or baby shower, or celebrating your little dancer's achievements, a tutu is an important part of the outfit. When making your own tutu, you have control over the entire look and can create something that no one has ever seen. In today's blog, you'll learn how to make an easy DIY no-sew tutu that your little one will never want to take off.
Need extra party supplies? Let us help! Shop our ballerina party supplies and tableware for the perfect addition to your event or celebration.
Materials Needed For DIY No-Sew Tutu
- 1″ elastic (you can use wider if you prefer)
- 60-80 yards of 6″ tulle spool or 4 6in x 25 yards of tulle spool
- Measuring tape
Choosing the Right Tulle
- Consider the Color of Tulle: Depending on the occasion, you want to pick colors that reflect the theme. For Halloween costumes, you can use black, orange or red. For ballerina theme parties, opt for soft and pastel shades like pink, white, or lavender to capture the elegance and delicacy of ballet. But, at the end of the day, choose the color that's best for who you're making it for.
- Check the Quality: Look for high-quality tulle fabric that is soft, lightweight, and has a fine mesh structure. This ensures that it drapes beautifully when it's worn
- Determine the Length: Depending on your specific needs, choose the appropriate length of tulle fabric.
- Consider Texture and Finish: Tulle fabrics come in various textures and finishes, such as matte, shimmer, or glitter. Select the one that matches your desired aesthetic and complements the overall party theme, celebration, or event.
- Test the Sheerness: If you want to create a subtle and ethereal look, opt for sheer tulle fabric. However, if you prefer a more opaque appearance, choose a slightly denser tulle that provides more coverage.
- Check Durability: Ensure that the tulle fabric is durable enough to withstand embellishments if you choose to add them. This will ensure that your decorations stay intact through multiple uses.
Step 1 | Measure and cut the tulle strips
- First, determine the desired length of the tutu and don't forget to add a few inches for tying knots. This is completely up to you but a typical length is around 12 to 14 inches.
- Next, measure and cut the tulle into strips of your desired width. On average, a width of around 3 to 4 inches works well.
Step 2 | Prepare the elastic waist band
- Grab your little ballerina (or the wearer) and measure her waist and cut the elastic band to that length, leaving a little extra for overlap.
- Join the ends of the elastic band by overlapping them and securing them together using a knot or a strong adhesive.
- OPTIONAL: You can hand sew the elastic band if you prefer. Or use fabric glue or safety pins.
Step 3 | Attach the tulle to the elastic waistband
- Take one tulle strip that you cut and fold it in half to form a loop.
- Place the loop under the elastic waistband, with the folded end facing up and the loose ends hanging over the elastic.
- Bring the loose ends of the tulle strip over the elastic and through the loop, pulling them tight to create a knot.
- Repeat this process until complete, alternating colors if you're using different color tulle and spacing the knots evenly around the waistband.
- Experiment with different layering techniques to achieve the desired fullness and appearance.
Here's a good example of the above steps from The Simple Today Life Blog
Step 4 | Adjust and fluff
- Once all the tulle strips are attached, adjust the knots and fluff the tutu to create a full and even look.
- Trim any uneven ends or excess tulle to achieve a neat and polished appearance.
Try on and enjoy your new DIY No-Sew Tutu!